Greene County Veterans Affairs Office, Department of Finance & Administration for Greene County Government, Pennsylvania

Veterans Affairs Office

Ben Franklin Building

22 West High Street
Waynesburg, PA 15370
Click on image
for Map and Directions

Greene County Veterans

(Photos courtesy of area residents)
    >> homepage >> government >> departments >> Finance & Administration > Veterans Affairs
Veterans Affairs Office
Department of Finance and Administration for Greene County

Contact Persons: Dalene Watson, Veterans Affairs Director
Kathy Cipcic, Administrative Assistant

Ben Franklin Building, Suite 100
22 West High Street, Waynesburg, PA 15370
Phone: 724-852-5275 or 5450 / Fax: 724-852-5307
Office Email: gcva
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.—4:30 p.m., Monday—Friday

The mission of the Office of Veterans Affairs is to provide a network of assistance programs and services to Greene County veterans, their spouses and their dependents. These services include but are not limited to compensation and pension claims; healthcare applications (VA hospitals and Champ VA); DIC and pension claims; life insurance; funeral and burial benefit claims; education benefits; home loans; veterans license plates; emergency assistance; flags and holders for deceased veterans’ graves; and organizing Memorial Day and Veterans Day events across the county.

Veterans Outreach Program:
  1. VA 2017 OUTREACH SCHEDULE: As part of our veterans outreach program, we will be going to the following Senior Centers throughout the county on the dates indicated below. For directions to any of these centers, contact the Veterans Affairs office at 724-852-5275:
      • Centers operated by Community Action:

        • Bobtown Senior Center:
          March 28, 2017 @ 10:00 AM
          August 29, 2017 @ 10:00 AM

        • Carmichaels Senior Center:
          April 19, 2017 @ 10:00 AM
          July 26, 2017 @ 10:00 AM

        • Jefferson Senior Center:
          March 15, 2017 @ 10:00 AM
          August 23, 2017 @ 10:00 AM

        • Mt. Morris Senior Center:
          May 10, 2017 @ 10:00 AM
          October 4, 2017 @ 10:00 AM

        • West Greene Senior Center (Graysville):
          March 23, 2017 @ 10:00 AM
          August 17, 2017 @ 10:00 AM

      • Independently Operated Center(s):

        • Clarksville Senior Lions Center
          (sponsored by Clarksville Area Lions Club) tentative dates:

          July 19, 2017 @ 11:00 AM
          October 25, 2017 @ 11:00 AM

        A locally and nationally certified Veterans Service Officer will be on-site at each of the centers to answer any questions and assist veterans one-on-one in filing claims. Veterans residing in each community who are unable to visit the Veterans Affairs office at 22 W. High St., Waynesburg, are encouraged to attend the outreach programs. FMI, call the Greene County Veterans Affairs office at 724-852-5275.
State Government Contacts for Greene County Veterans Assistance:   (Info last updated 10/20/2016)
Greene County is in the 9th -- and -- 18th United States Congressional Districts, the 46th Pennsylvania Senate District and the 50th Pennsylvania House District.

Pennsylvania is a U.S. state with two senators in the United States Senate and 18 representatives in the United States House of Representatives. The United States is divided into 435 congressional districts — 18 in Pennsylvania — each with a population of about 710,000 individuals. Each district elects a representative to the House for a two-year term. Representatives are also called congressmen/congresswomen. (Source:

Officials updated October 2016
  • Governor: Tom Wolf (D), Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. (46th Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. (inaugurated January 20, 2015) || Governor's Executive Staff (10/12/2016)

  • Pennsylvania Lieutenant Governor: Mike Stack (D) — The 33rd and current lieutenant governor, a Democrat elected in 2014. Stack began his first term in office on January 20, 2015.

  • Auditor General: Eugene DePasquale (since 2015) — 717-787-2543

  • Attorney General: Bruce R. Beemer (8/18/2016) — Phone: 717-787-3391

  • U.S. Senators: Each state elects two senators for staggered 6-year teams. Senators represent the entire state:
    • Senior Senator: Robert P. Casey (D), Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (took office Jan. 4, 2007/next election: 2018). Pittsburgh Office (Regional Enterprize Tower, 425 Sixth Avenue, Suite 2490, Pittsburgh, PA 15319)
      Phone: 412-803-7370 / Fax: 412-803-7379 / Website:
    • Junior Senator: Pat Toomey (R), Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, (took office Jan. 5, 2011/next election 2016). Pittsburgh Office (Regional Enterprize Tower, 425 Sixth Avenue, Suite 1450, Pittsburgh, PA 15219)
      Phone: 412-644-3400 / Fax: 412-644-4871 / Website:

  • U.S. Representatives in Congress for 9th & 18th Districts:
    • Congressman Bill Shuster (R), (took office May 17, 2001) representing the 9th District of Pennsylvania, which includes Bedford County, Blair County, Fayette County, Franklin County, Fulton County, Indiana County, and parts of Greene County, Cambria County, Huntingdon County & Somerset County (click HERE to view the 9th district map). The main district office is located in Hollidaysburg (Phone 814-696-6318 or 1-800-854-3035 toll free)
    • Congressman Tim Murphy (R), (took office May 7, 2003) representing the 18th District of Pennsylvania, which includes the southwestern portion of the state of Pennsylvania. The main district office is located at 504 Washington Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15228 (Phone: 412-344-5583 / Fax: 412-429-5092).

  • State Senator: Camera C. Bartolotta (D), 46th District, which includes Beaver (part), Greene and Washington (part) Counties. Click HERE to view district map.

  • State Representative: Hon. Pam Snyder (D), 50th district, serving Fayette, Greene, and Washington counties. Click HERE district map.
Quick Links for VA Benefits & Forms:
Veterans Highlights:
Community News, Information & Activities:
  • Veterans Affairs flag distribution
    May 5, 2017 GREENE COUNTY, PA — The Greene County Veterans Affairs office - flag distribution for Memorial Day (organization pickup on May 5, individual cemeteries on May 8-12, 2017).

  • The Vow to Hire Heroes—Act of 2011 — click here for the Department of Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehab and Employment program information...

  • Abestos Trust Fund for Navy Veterans — click here for additional information. Also can visit Leslie Controls Asbestos Trust website.

  • Help Remember the Patriots from our Communities — The Greene County Veterans Council is supporting the effort to build an Educational Center near the Vietnam Wall Memorial in Washington, D.C. Families are asked to compile a photo history of a Vietnam veteran that can be displayed in the center once it is built. The families can bring the photo history to the Veterans Affairs Office in Waynesburg, or to the Veterans Council. Families need to also note that any photo history would not be returned but would be kept on display at the Education Center. Visit (Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund website). For additional information or questions, please contact the Veterans Affairs Office at 724-852-5275.
Community Honor Roll:
  • Click here for photos of community Honor Rolls in Greene County.
  • Click here for directions to each of the Honor Rolls' sites mentioned above.
Veterans Education Opportunities:
A comprehensive resource that provides Veterans with tons of information about using the money awarded to them by the GI Bill to help pursue a university education. It contains a database that allows our service men and women to search for Online Schools & Colleges.

Also check out this educational and supplemental veteran's educational resource at, a complete directory of top accredited online schools, colleges, & universities of 2014; which is updated yearly. Or go directly to specific pages that would be of greatest interest:
Special Veterans Programs:
Frequently Asked Questions:
  • What benefits are available?
    Depending on when you served in the military your benefits may vary. There are several programs designed for the disabled veteran who served during a war time period, but did not have any service connected disabilities. These include monthly monetary benefits, hospitalization, and outpatient medical care.

  • I was not injured in the service; am I eligible for any benefits?
    Depending on when you served, you may be eligible for a non-service connected pension program for you and your family depending on need. You may also be eligible for medical care, GI home loan, etc.

  • Are there non-service connected pension payments for veterans of a wartime era?
    This benefit provides financial support to wartime veterans having limited income. The amount paid depends on what the veteran is receiving in income.

  • Are there educational/school benefits for veterans and their dependents?
    There are 10 different assistance programs each with different eligibility criteria, based on the veterans (his/her) dates of active duty. Call 724-852-5275 or 5274 to learn if you fall within one the 10 programs.

  • Are there any Life Insurance benefits?
    Yes, There are many types and they depend again on when you were in the service. There are the SGLI, VGLI, DVI. Call 724-852-5275 or 5274.

  • Can I receive medical benefits although I only served for a short period of time in the service?
    Yes, if you served 24 months or more since Sept. 7, 1980, or if you were released from the service with a medical disability or for medical reasons. Prior to Sept. 7, 1980, you only had to have days in the service for treatment; however; all medical treatment is based on having other than dishonorable service.

  • Am I eligible for burial benefits?
    All veterans who have other than dishonorable service are eligible for burial in a National Cemetery, a grave marker (headstone) and a U.S. Flag for the next of kin.

  • How many times can I use my GI home loan?
    As long as your home loan was paid off, as many times as you need it.

  • Is there compensation for disability injuries incurred in the service?
    Assistance can be provided to assist you develop your claim for these injuries regardless of how long you have been out of the service.

  • Is there any assistance for having your discharge upgraded?
    Assistance can be provided to assist veterans in obtaining military records to support their claim for discharge upgrade and submission of same.

  • Do I have any benefits if I lost a son or daughter in the service?
    Depending on income, as a surviving parent, you may be eligible for compensation.

  • My father was in the service; do I have any benefits?
    Depending on whether the veteran incurred an injury or illness in the service could provide monthly payments for children under age 18 or under the age of 22 still in school.

  • Are there employment programs for veterans?
    Contact the Director of Veterans Affairs to assist with employment for veterans.

  • How do I get help filing a claim for Post-Traumatic Stress-related problems?
    Contact the Director of Veterans Affairs for assistance in developing a claim and obtaining treatment for same through the office.
What is the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA):
The National Defense Authorization Act instituted a program called Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC), which became effective with benefits payable June 1, 2003. Under the CRSC program, a new, tax-free, special compensation benefit was made available to the following military retirees:
  • Veterans rated at least 10 percent disabled due to a combat wound for which they received the Purple Heart; or
  • Veterans rated at least 60 percent disabled, and the disability was directly attributed to combat situations, combat-related training, hazardous duty or instrumentalities of war.
Details of CRSC payments:
  • CRSC payments will be in the amount of the VA disability compensation paid for whatever percentage of the member’s disability rating is due to combat-related disabilities, as determined by the parent service.
  • Retirees must apply to their parent service for CRSC payments.
  • There is no phase-in period for CRSC.
  • CRSC is not subject to taxation.
  • Individuals must apply for CRSC.
The Office of Veterans Affairs can help answer questions and complete the CRSC application.

Home Loan Guaranty Services:
The VA Loan Guaranty Service is the organization within the Veterans Benefits Administration charged with the responsibility of administering the home loan program. When a veteran wants to use the VA Loan program as part of his/her mortgage financing plan, he/she must first obtain a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. The form is proof to the lender that the veteran does meet the service requirements to participate in the VA program. (It does NOT mean that the veteran is credit worthy or is financially qualified to receive a mortgage loan.)

Veterans should send their application for a Certificate (VA Form 26-1880) and a copy of their DD-214 to the following address:
    VA Home Loan Eligibility Center
    PO Box 20729
    Winston-Salem, NC 27120
For more information on VA Home Loans, please call 1-800-827-1000 or visit

Other Useful Resources / Links:

For general information, please contact the Information Services
at 724-852-5399 / Toll Free: 1-888-852-5399
Greene County Office Building, 93 E. High Street, Waynesburg, PA 15370

Today's date is: